Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Why do I feel like Jack Bauer

I love watching 24. It is the only show that I don't want to miss. The suspense of it all makes me stay on the edge of my seat. This season I have to record it because I have a meeting at 9 pm on Mondays. Actually I kind of like it that way, I tape the show and then I can sit down and watch it and skip the commercials.

I feel like my life is sometimes like Jack Bauer's. Instead of being called 24, it should be called...365. I am constantly on the go. Yesterday I was offered to speak at a youth camp this summer. I said, "No!" It was an accomplishment for me in some ways. In the past I have had the attitude if God opened a door for me I was willing to do it. But, I had some reservations about the camp in the first place as well as my time is being eaten up by so many things I didn't want to do it. You know it is sad when you and your wife have to sit down on a regular basis, get out both of your calendars and sync them together.

This weekend was a fun one. My wife is so good to me...she let's me sleep when our son or daugther gets up in the middle of the night, especially on Saturday nights since I have to preach on Sundays. Well, at 2:15 Sunday morning I hear my wife calling my name from my daughters room. I rush over and my daugther has resurrected her dinner all over herself and her bad. Spagetti is not the prettiest thing the second time around. My wife and I have a good working relationship with our kids ralphing. She can handle the act, but not the smell for clean-up. I can't handle the act, but I can handle the clean-up. So my wife proceeds to leave the room and I start the clean up process. I get back to bed about an hour later and then asleep a little while after that. I get up later that morning, off to church to preach my sermon, "Our problem with God."

I have learned life doesn't slow down. But it is good to know that in the rush of it all I can come home, sit down in my recliner (by the way, it is falling apart so if anyone would like to donate a new one feel free) and relax knowing that all the this chaos hopefully will make a difference in someone's life one day. That is what Solomon tells us in Chapter 3 of Ecclesiates...enjoy the life God has given us.

No comments: