Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Challenge to me

I have recently been challenged in something that I felt was settled in my mind. First, by Rob Bell at the "Isn't She Beautiful?" conference at Mars Hill and then by Scot McKnight in his post Letters to Emerging Christians. What I heard and read I thought was a challenge to my beliefs, but I was wrong they were more of a confirmation of a belief that I already held, but just had not fully grasped.

One of my favorite passages of scripture is John 10:10, "
A thief comes only to rob, kill, and destroy. I came so that everyone would have life, and have it in its fullest." What challenged me the most is that in most gospel presentations the Good News is presented as a ticket to heaven. I am not denying that when someone becomes a follower of Christ that they get into heaven, but the question comes is that all there is? What about my hell here on earth? Is the driving goal for us as Christ followers to just get people out of here. If heaven is the driving force of the Gospel then why doesn't God just translate us to heaven the moment we pray the prayer, confess with our mouth, make it public? I know that question brings a whole bunch of answers about the mission of Christians to share and the Great Commission, then why do we present the gospel so much as a ticket on the train to heaven?

Don't get me wrong I am looking forward to heaven. I preached a series on it last fall. I personally think the problem with many Christ followers is they are too enamored with the things of this world and not enamored enough with the things of heaven and that causes their focus to be more on the problems of the hear and now and not what is to come.

I am challenged by what Paul tells the Philippians in 1:6, "
God is the one who began this good work in you, and I am certain that he won't stop before it is complete on the day that Christ Jesus returns." Another one that I think makes it more clear is 2:12-13, "So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure."

One of the questions that Rob Bell brought out is which Jesus are we following? The Jesus of 1-800-BIG-HAIR on Christian television or the Jesus of someone who claims to be but doesn't act like it. Bell referred to a book, "Stumbling Toward Faith" by Renee Alston. The disclaimer here is I have not read the book. I intend to read it in the near future because it seems incredible to me. In the book Alston tells of her life of abuse at the hands of a father who while abusing her would recite the Lord's Prayer. Those are just a few examples of the Jesus that people need to reject in their life.

What conclusion have I come too? Well, that is not completely settled.
At this point for me what has happened is that Salvation is seen as more to do with someone's journey with Christ than it has to do with someone's point of decision for Christ. There are many people that have made a point of decision, prayed a prayer, walked an aisle, but the fruit of their life has no more to do with Christ than an atheist. Points of decisions are not wrong, they are markers along the journey, but there is more to the journey than the decision.

I like what Scot McKnight writes at the end of his article, "A Christian is someone whose identity is being transformed because of relationship with Jesus. I think Jesus, Paul, John, are all saying this very thing: the one who is a Christian is the one whose very being and identity are shaped by Jesus."

I simply have to concur!

3 comments:

The Missional Position said...

I think one of the things we miss is the fact that Jesus said "The Kingdom of God is at hand," meaning ITS HERE.

You are right some Christians are too enamored with this world but I think due in part to both academic premillenial dispensationalism and "pop" Left Behind PD many other Christians are focused on 'their' ticket to heaven and have an escapist mentality.

There is nothing left to do in this world. They take no part in living as Ambassadors of Christ and Ministers of Reconciliation seeking to bring about more of the reality of The Kingdom of God into the lives of others. We must live out our lives as a thread in the overall story that is Redemptive History.

Our lives are subplots to God's overall plot, which is the Story of Redemption. Salvation is a journey of now and not yet. I think there is the now, we are justified in Christ immediately. Then there is the not yet of sanctification. We are not yet sanctified but we are BEING sanctified.

The 'not yet' aspect is where many Christians "miss the point" in my opinion. We are saved at some point initially, some may have occured at a point you mentioned. Some may not even know or be able to recognize the point (in space and time.) Then the sanctification process "is the working out our salvation in fear in trembling." Some are more agressive at it than others. The working it out. That is were many fail, I think.

God promises that those that are saved will be transformed into the likeness of Christ. I see it happen more slowly in some than others. We are participatory in salvation in that aspect. And some participate much more than others.

Am I making any sense here? (i am home in bed with "flu-like" symptoms.)

Chris Walls said...

It's hard to keep that delicate balance between being excited about what is to come and what is. I had a lady ask me if I studied the end times? I responded with no, because I am not worried how its going to end as much as I am about what I need to do before it ends.

When I was writing this I was thinking of the already not yet. I was also thinking about the way I was taught by Dr. Steeger my college prof. I was saved at some point and time in the past. I am being saved everyday from things I don't need because God is transforming me into what He wants. And one day I will be saved when I die or Christ comes back.

My task is in the here and now is to live out Romans 12:1-2.

Rev. said...

Part of the problem with modern evangelicalism (especially the SBC) is that there is a heavy emphasis on "making a decision for Christ" without having a solid grasp on the doctrines of justification or sanctification. The matter of sanctification is especially convoluted, too often presented as an individual option rather than as a reality for the true believer.