Friday, July 07, 2006

Its a racket!!

Last week on June 29 my Aunt past away from complications of colon cancer. I had know this was coming for some time and had been preparing myself to preach at the service. This meant flying from Pittsburgh or Washington/Baltimore to Dallas. I knew it would be pricey because of the short notice but it became highway robbery...or is it airway robbery? Anyway, for one roundtrip ticket because of July 4th it cost $1290. My cousin, whose mother past away, was paying for my ticket. My parents told me to bring my daugther along with me as well and they would pay for her.

I tried some alternatives. I could have found a cheaper one for about $900 but I would have flown from Pittsburgh to New York, changed planes and then to Dallas. I would have also flown to NY on the way back. By the way the $1290 flight was a direct flight. Something is wrong with that picture.

The time in Texas was good though. I got to spend some time with my brother and his family. Scott is about to start his second year of three years as a Neonatal-Prenatal Fellow at Texas Children's Hospital. I got to hold my one month old nephew Ben. The fun part was that Riley was with me and my other two nephews, Matthew and Andrew, stayed with my parents until we left on Wednesday. The cousins don't get to spend much time with each other so that was a good thing. I know my mom and dad really enjoyed it.

I think the funneist thing that happened during the week was listening to the three kids tell "knock knock" jokes. At the ages of 3, 4, and 5 they don't get the concept of what an good knock knock joke contains. Well, they didn't care they told them anyway and laughed at each one, even though to a grown-up they didn't make sense and were not funny at all.

I am so thankful for my wonderful loving family. God has truly blessed me beyond measure with them.


2 comments:

The Missional Position said...

If I remember correctly from hearing you preach you don't know what a good joke is either. Ha, jk, but I couldn't resist that. ("You just got cased, I own you" that is what my kids said on the 14 hour van trek to camp in Woodland Park everytime they dissed someone. "Cased?" I must be getting old cause I don't get it at all.) How's things?

Chris Walls said...

Wait is that like pimped or wait it must be served...no...so if you don't know what it means I guess I didn't get done to me what you don't you did to me.