Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Welcome to Alaska

Not really, but I like to complain about all the cold weather. I am looking at weatherbug on my computer and it is flashing 20 degrees and the snow is on the way. I guess it is my Texas upbringing, where it rarely got in the 20's and only as late as February. I have not lived in Texas in almost 8 years. Actually I have lived more outside the state in my adult life than I have lived in the state. That includes the 4 years I was on the mission field in Arkansas.

I really have enjoyed being in different parts of the country. Seeing the differences and the similarities. The common thing I have found during this time is where ever I have been people are virtually the same. Whether it is the mountain man in Colorado, the factory worker in Pennsylvania, or the people of Maryland, they all want to be cared for in their lives. They want to know that they matter, their life means something. I think that is one of the main things I have enjoyed about living in small town America, that people take time to get to know each other and show they care.

I enjoy going back and visiting my parents in Texas, but I think I get a good dose of reality. My life is less complicated in Frostburg, Maryland than it would be in Dallas, Texas and I enjoy that. I wish sometimes for the choices that come from living in a bigger city, but I will trade that any day for the simple life of living in Frostburg, Maryland at least for right now
.

No comments: