Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Boys

Well, today I have to admit my confusion as to why the Dallas Cowboys decided to hire Wade Phillips. I have no problem with the son of Bum. He is an incredible defensive minded coach. I guess it came down to in Jerry Jones' mind, "How can I best help Jason Garrett?" I really think Jerry sees him as the next head coach of the Cowboys, but at this point and time he is too green to take the reigns of the team as the head coach. Let Garrett take a few years to develop as a coach and then move him into the head position.

Personally I think it is risky. What if Garrett is not the phenom that many in coaching think he is? What if he is snatched up by another team before Jerry is ready to crown him as the king?

There were probably safer picks, Norv Turner or Ron Rivera, but Phillips has a better record as a head coach and Rivera runs the 4-3 defense. The Cowboys are currently more geared to the 3-4 defense.

I will take a wait and see attitude on this. I am still a loyal Cowboys fan, though not a Jerry Jones or TO fan.

1 comment:

Rev. said...

There is one main reason the Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in 11 years... the GM.

The day the GM signed Terribly Overrated / Tremendously Overpaid, it was like a kick in the gut to me. The Cowboys had my ultimate allegiance until that sad and horrific day last March. I couldn't stand the fact that the Player who desecrated the Star (in a 49ers uniform, no less) was being signed to wear the uniform donned by the likes of Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett and Randy White.

IMO, the GM just wanted another "Yes Man" on the sidelines, particularly one who would agree to run the 3-4.